Thursday, April 10, 2008

Avoiding the sweep

I know, I know, same picture again. Until I take another one (and given my record, that will be next season), this will be my baseball picture. Sorry.

So, it's 10.30 at night and, as usual on a cloudy cold evening, I'm watching the Jays again. 11th innings, one run each and the Jays trying to avoid being swept by Oakland. Now 1-1 after three and a half hours might seem dull but it just so isn't. Pitcher battles are sort of what it's all about. Baseball fans point out that baseball is the only game where the defense has the ball. Obviously, they've never heard of rounders or cricket or possibly croquet. Not sure about croquet - not sure if croquet has either defense or offense. Not sure anyone knows the answer to that one. Anyway, defense is what makes baseball so much better than rounders. Pitching is what makes baseball a bit like chess. I have a feeling no-one is buying this...

So, a quick update - the Jays have two on base - one at second, one at third - and two out. They had this last innings and blew it. All they need is a long fly ball. It's two balls, two strikes. Come on, just one hit...oh. Another terrible ground ball out. This game will run and run and I'm staying up until it's over. However, I don't think anyone needs my running commentary so, non-baseball fans, you'll just have to look up the score tomorrow.

For some reason the Jays have decided that they will randomly wear their old sky blue uniform at certain home games. They are using exactly the same design as the original. Imagine Man City in the eighties, onlt without the disturbingly tight shorts. Nice look...

No comments: