Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Go Leafs Go!


So tonight I finally saw a live hockey game. I'm now just Curling away from becoming Canadian. It was, one has to say, awesome - I now get hockey. But boy, the Leafs suck. It was like watching Man City vs Milan. New Jersey barely broke sweat apart from the odd moment when they thought they really ought to score. And they did. Four times. The Leafs are ridiculously over-supported and ridiculously overpriced. As a result, the management can't quite see the point in investing in the team. They sell out EVERY GAME. Crazy, really. As my friend Elliot pointed out, this is a true Torontonian right of passage - Jays can't beat the Red Sox, Leafs can't beat anyone and the Raptors think that the playoffs count as success. As I said, Man City...

Looks like Hillary is becoming the comeback kid (again) tonight. Inevitable really, negative still works well. Obama's speech tonight was still amazing though - however much mud they throw at him, he still stays above the fray. It will probably do for him in the end.

Something astounding I saw today - the UK Tory party's new campaign. Look up 'Conservative UK' in facebook and you will find the most sophisticated political page I have ever seen. They have clearly been watching Obama but are doing it better. Really - the Tories! It is a vision of the future of political campaigning and I plan to steal from it for my online strategy. I am very, very impressed. Well done the boy David...

Anyway, CNN is going on throughout the night but I can't. CNN have given up pretending that this election is anything but the latest US sport. Their daily political show is called 'Election Bowl' and uses graphics from football play books. And they described their coverage tonight as 'flooding the zone'. You've got to love it, really...

No comments: