Friday, March 14, 2008

Wrote For Luck


So, Toronto is warming up. Well, it's over freezing and that's positively roasting. I had to go home and change jackets because the mental Canadian Goose duvet was too much. This is, officially, a good sign.

And I've discovered the wonder and horror of 6 Music this week. Great on some fronts - music you don't get on Canadian/American radio. Shocking on others - hello Lilly Allen, you have a lot to answer for. Kate Nash, OK, kinda your fault but, you know, a one off. NO! Russell Brand and now this tosser, George Lamb. I mean, really? Surely the only, THE ONLY, point of 6 music is people who love music. People who understand Word and the importance of buying the NME when you're growing up. People like I know in London. And we get this asshole. Jesus, how many reasons can there be to not go home?

Anyway, listened to Guy Garvey's show. I love Elbow, and his show was, well, right. Also, he had the best Sting joke for a long time. And Paul Morley's FAC 501 was amazing. My brother just sent me the two Hacienda comps - you've got to love nostalgia. It made me dance like it was 1991. A Guy Called Gerald - I had forgotten and I am sure I'm not the only one...

Back to FAC 501. Tony Wilson - what can you say? Manchester was his for a while. He made it. We lived in it. Now it's gone. I met Paul Morley a fair few times. He was the first person to introduce me to the wonder of melancholy. Thank you Paul - finally got it the other day. And that radio show confirmed it. 

This week (and, to an extent, last Saturday) made me miss old Manchester, when it was more raincoat than WAG. OK, so the unemployment figures were displayed on the town hall, it rained all day, every day, and you were as likely to get mugged as walk out of Affleck's Palace with a '061 - State Of The Nation' tee but, hey, it was real. And there was The Fall, Joy Division, the Smiths, The Buzzcocks, New Order, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, 808 State, Inspiral Carpet and so many more before Oasis poisoned the well. But that city has gone. Long live Rio Ferdinand. Tony would hate it and love it at the same time.

Walk away, in silence...

No comments: